Welcome to Toronto!

Well my last trip to Toronto is what started my writing of the blog. It was my experience with the Mini-Cooper, Hertz and Cold, Cold weather. It was one of the posts I enjoyed writing the most. And once I was able to look back and laugh I was really glad I wrote it down.

This trip has had some similarities and many differences.

The differences…
1) I got a SUV (GMC Envoy) instead of a roller-skate (Mini-Cooper)
2) I could see the ground (NO SNOW)

The similarities…
1) The Immigration process is still nerve wracking. I entered and some familiar questions are asked…

a) What’s the purpose of your trip? Business
b) What company do you work for?
c) Who are you working with?
d) Do you have work papers?
e) Are you here as a consultant? NO
f) What are you here doing? Supporting a go-live

For those not familiar with going back and forth between the US and Canada for work. It’s frowned upon to use the word Consultant. He tried to trick me this week into saying that’s what I was here for and I knew better. I was so grateful I made it through without any hassle. Again, it’s one of my worst fears traveling on business – Immigrations. It never bothers me for pleasure.

2) I sail through customs since I have nothing to declare.

3) Hertz still has no cars ready when I get here. I have to wait for them to bring me a car. What a pain – they never have enough cars at Hertz in Toronto. If you travel to this area consider this a warning, if you don’t want to wait choose another rental car agency.

4) Traffic - Very Heavy Traffic...

My drive takes me out of the Toronto Pearson Airport on 409 East to 401 East to 404 North. If you have ever been to this area you know how big these interstates are. If you are not from the area these roads are HUGE and CONGESTED.

They have what they call collectors and express lanes. Every three exits there is an entrance and exit from the express lanes. There are signs that tell you if the collector or express lanes are moving good or slow. The answer today in Five O'Clock traffic was... Slow, Very Slow.

I am always amazed at how much traffic there is here. Where the 401 and 400 cross there were 8 lanes going both directions. It reminds me of Atlanta where I-75 & I-85 join to go downtown.

I thought with all this traffic I’d look-up some statistics about Toronto and post them.

Toronto Stats:

Greater Toronto Area – 5,555,912 (2006)

Toronto is part of what they call the “Golden Horseshoe” which wraps around the end of Lake Ontario. This area has an inner and outer ring, but the population in this surrounding area is 8.1 million people roughly 25% of the population of Canada.

Toronto is the 5th most populous municipality in North America.

The diversity of the people is shown with 49% of the population being born outside Canada.

I hope I get time this week to get out and get some pictures. I really want to go downtown and see the CN tower.

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Bennie, I remember Craig running into something tricky one time when he went to Vancouver, B.C. to deal with a vendor when we lived in Seattle. He was driving, so I think they told him to throw golf clubs in his SUV and tell them he was there for pleasure? Something weird like that! Glad you didn't have to wedge yourself into the Mini-Cooper.

Ann said...

last year when we flew home from Alaska, leaving from Vancouver with a quick layover in Toronto, we couldn't do our check in at the kiosk.....Went into the long line waiting to see an actual person. Once there, she quickly picked up a phone & asked for our passposts! I asked " Is there a problem?" We were told there's someone on the no fly list with a name similar to your husband! We then were told we were lucky that we had frequent flyer #'s with this airline--that helped & hey put them on file!

Bennie said...

Beck - I'm thrilled I don't have to wedge myself in that Mini-Cooper this trip. It's been really nice living the the full sized world.

Ann - I am so happy to say I have not had the experience your husband had with the "No Fly List". I bet that was a stressful check-in.

Leslie said...

Its been a LONG time since we were in Toronto...I am afraid it wasn't very congested back then (probably late 70s to early 80s)...we were looking around for my roots but never found them....

We used to cross the border from Detroit all the time...my only bad experience was when my BILs sister answer the anything to declare question with: "a -bleeping- bad sunburn"...8 hours later....

Hope you stay warm...