Time Change

My weekends at home are short enough without having to take an hour away from me for a time change. I just got home last night from California and I fly out tomorrow morning at 6AM heading to Portland. Needless to say with this time change my 6AM flight just became a 5AM flight to my body.

I know they started the time change years back for the farmers so they would have more daylight to work in the fields.

The time changes get confusing for those of us who travel. There are several states (Indiana, Arizona and Hawaii) that don’t change times. So if you fly through Phoenix you might be on Mountain Time or Pacific depending on the time of year. And to make it even better Europe, Mexico and the United States can’t even agree on a set date that everyone changes the clocks. So Cancun can be on Central Time except a few short weeks when they end up on Mountain or Eastern time.

I just wish they would split the difference and keep us on the same time all year. Move our clocks 30 minutes between the two and call it quits. I know the programming changes and updates to computer systems would be huge to do this. But it would be done and over with.

Oh well I guess my simple mind doesn’t grasp the real need for this. So I’m going to go enjoy what’s left of my shorter weekend.

3 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

We don't even keep track of it down here in Arizona, so I had no clue until I saw a little blip online yesterday. So starting tomorrow, we're equivalent to Pacific time. And two hours behind Central time? I'm forever confused! (About many things -- ha!)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you! Someone stole an hour of sleep from me last night! and I intend to be grouchy until I get it back 8 months from now!

Actually, there was a nice piece on this on NPR this week...the history of this "device" actually goes back to WWI as a plan to save energy by making more daylight later in the day and reduce the use of fuels to create eletricity to run lights, etc. (perhaps in office buildings, but its not functional savings in the lives of ordinary people) - proof of actual savings of energy has never been borne out with a net decline in usage of only 0.03%.

The Farmers actually don't LIKE it (THEY don't run by clocks anyhow...)as it doesn't change their pre-dawn tasks except that it actually reduces the time they have available to go to Market to sell their goods (which is first thing, before sunrise)

It is a boon to the leisure industries, however, in that it allows more sunlight for golfing and other sports, as well as grilling out, shopping, gardening, etc. after work and after dinner. So we can hope that it will boost the economy if anyone still has money available for those activities....

Nowadays switching to DLST (in the USA) is required to be by the entire STATE and not by counties, so Indiana no longer abstains - Arizona and Hawaii are the only two "odd men out"...

There is an interesting book on the subject by Michael Downing called "Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time".

Bennie said...

That's neat information Leslie. I knew they were talking about changing the Indiana time zones. It's been 5 years or more since I dealt with it and it was so confusing in the SE corner they had what they called Cincinatti time and in the NE corer they ran on Chicago Time. And who knew in between.

I had heard a year or so back about the farmers and it was so the kids could get out of school and work in the fields earlier. The NPR explanation makes a bit more sense but I still hate the time change. I don't see value in it.

Poor Alaska, they have one day and one night per year. Why would they even care to play along?