Remember when...

My trip this week takes me from Myrtle Beach, SC to Ontario, California. It’s one of those weeks where you bounce across the country stopping in multiple cities. Today’s route will take me from Myrtle Beach to Atlanta to Salt Lake City to Ontario California. I could have done a direct flight and arrived at 9:45 PM tonight or take three flights and get to the destination by mid-day.

I’m writing this blog on the flight from Atlanta to Salt Lake City. I was watching the safety video and one of the items they mentioned was that Smoking was not allowed on this flight. It’s been so long since smoking was allowed I wondered why they even felt it necessary to mention it anymore. It made me think about the topic for this blog – remember when.

I have been traveling for business for over 10 years. Long before I traveled for work I was fortunate enough to travel for pleasure. My family has always been scattered across the country so I have been boarding planes since I was a small child. And it must be in my blood because I can’t imagine not traveling.

I remember years back when I was a kid flying was something you would dress up for. You would not consider going on an airplane in flip flops and shorts (not that I haven’t done it since). You actually dressed up for the occasion. Some people today dress up too much for the occasion with all the bracelets, metal belts, jewelry, boots and all the things that make security a joy.

I remember when they implemented and stopped asking the two security questions:
1) Did you pack your own bags?
2) Have your bags been out of your control since you packed them?


I always wondered what they would do if I said “No – my mom packed my bags” or that my bags had only been out of my possession while the airlines had them. Those questions were just stupid and why they ever thought they were a good idea just boggles my mind. Of course it's the FAA and the folks that run the airlines that came up with this brilliant security measure.

I do remember when there were smoking sections on airplanes. They were always in the back rows of First Class and the back of the airplane, generally the last 2-3 rows. And for a part of my life I was a smoker and was darn glad they had them. I remember when they stopped allowing smoking on flights less than 2 hours. I’d book my flights to make sure I had that my flight was 2:05 in duration or longer.

They even announced the cost of the fine if you tampered with the smoke detectors in the bathroom. I often thought about just writing a check so I could have my cigarette. I’m sure there were other smokers on the plane that would have pooled money with me. Heck there were times I’d have considered hanging on to the wing outside if I could have had a smoke.

Eventually the government forced the airlines to stop allowing smoking all together on airplanes (which was a good move). I would book my flights through airports that allowed smoking so I could smoke between flights. I knew all airports and if they allowed smoking. Funny the things addictions will make us do. I am proud to say it’s been 7.5 years since I quit smoking.

I remember when the meals on the planes were free. The options were “Beef or Chicken” and they were actually decent meals served with silverware. Now the options are limited and unless you are in First Class you pay for the meals. And even if you pay for them they are not that good anyway.

Our travel agent sends out a newsletter and it has a humor section. Last month this one stood out because I could see me having this conversation.

“Overheard on a Flight”
The flight attendant was asking the passenger in front of me would you like to have breakfast with us this morning.
The passenger asked what are my choices?
The flight attendant replied: “Yes or No”


Some airlines are charging for everything from baggage, pillows, blankets, water and cokes. Ryan Air (Europe’s Southwest) is said to be looking into charging to use the toilet (loo as they call it). Please don’t let US Airways hear this they might start.

I stopped flying US Airways because they started charging for any and everything. They recently announced they were going to stop charging for beverages. Last year they also decided to start awarding actual mileage credit for frequent flyer miles flown and omit the 500 mile minimum. They rescinded that decision a few months later and credited all these folks with the minimum credit the other airlines give.

It’s too bad because they have already lost my business and I had over a million miles with them at one point. I’ll use up my points but unless I absolutely have to I won’t purchase a ticket from them again. It’s really sad because at one time I thought US Airways was the best airline in the industry. That changed with the America West Merger, and I can't say for the better.

I just have to realize things change.

The pictures below are from my trip today...

Leaving Salt Lake City, UT

Flying in over Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead area in California.

8 comments:

Sue said...

I remember those two stupid questions too, and once said to the agent - "do you really think someone would be dumb enough to tell you if the answer was 'yes', especially if they were up to no good?" I probably was lucky they didn't arrest me on the spot. I know you're not supposed to crack jokes about their security stuff, so other than that one slip, I pretty much kept my thoughts of their stupidity to myself.

Great pictures. How do you always know where you are from the sky? (you must listen to the pilot)?

Bennie said...

I bet the agent that asked you those questions when you answered YES was a little shocked.

As for knowing where I am those were at takeoff or landing and I knew the areas. But the ones mid trip I know because of the fancy screens they have on Delta, they have the moving map with data about your trip. They are really neat.

Life's a Beach! said...

I've had some bad experiences on US Air/America West. They make Southwest and their cattle call look attractive! Funny how they started all that crap when the price of fuel went WAY up. I wonder if some of those fees will come off now that fuel prices have fallen? And allowing people to smoke at 30,000 feet trapped in a narrow metal tube with no escape -- doesn't that just sound like the craziest thing?

Sue said...

They are going back to free water/soda/coffee for coach class. I am waiting for them all to go back to allowing the first bag to be checked without charge. It's so ridiculous, everyone is dragging their stuff onboard now and of course the overhead bins are full. One guy put both his carry-on and his laptop bag up in the overhead, and then the guy in front, in the bulkhead, had no place to put his stuff, so he asked the guy if he could put his rather large carry-on under his seat. And the guy was going to agree! I sat there and thought - if you didn't want your own laptop bag under your feet, why would you want a strangers suitcase for god's sake? Luckily the flight attendant intervened and insisted the guy walk to the back of the plane and find space there.

Ok, sorry - got that rant off my chest now!

Bennie said...

Beck - I'm right there with you on the fees. They added all this due to the fuel and they have yet to stop charging. And smoking should have never been allowed.

Sue - I certainly agree wtih your rant. Feels good to get it off your chest now doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

My sister actually DID tell them that her bags had NOT been in her possession since she packed them (she came off a cruise ship)...they opened the bags and went over every inch of every item in them...she missed her flight! So, in that situation, in your own best interest the answer is: LIE!

As to stowing carry-ons...I select my seating to be sure that I get to board early (if traveling overseas we always go Business or First Class - we will fly cattle class if its a short domestic flight) so I can get space for my carry on over or near my seat! If you have to find a space elsewhere on the plane it means you have to wait until everyone else has debarked before you can get to your baggage (if it hasn't been stolen or misappropriated!) talk about it not being in your possession - 20 rows back!

Bennie said...

It's a shame that there are times that telling a LIE is the best thing to do. And this was certainly one of those times. i guess that's why they don't ask anymore.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Iused to fly to Hawaii every year and most of the airlines not only had a choice of meals but one was always a Hawaii style meal. Alaska Airlines on longer trips offer a free meal, but don;'t think it is good becasue it is not. Usually it is a cold sandwich on a hard bun.