The Job

I’ve been a business traveler for over 10 years now. Sometimes it seems more like 20 and other times it seems like I just started. When I started traveling I had no clue this would be the perfect career for me. It was one of those just landing in the right place and the realization of “Wow this is what I was meant to do”.

I have landed in my spot and realized it several times in my 30 years of working. My first job was at 14 in a factory making 5 gallon plastic buckets. It was a great way to keep me off the streets and out of trouble (except for the starting to smoke cigarettes part).

I have had some great mentors along the way. Finding the right job is only part of what it takes. Recognizing and utilizing a mentor is what really makes things happen. I have been fortunate enough to have many mentors in my life personally and professionally. The belief they have shown in my abilities and the doors they have opened for me will never be forgotten.

The thing about the consultant role is you go places you would have never picked to visit. You meet people that become friends you didn’t expect. I have been to places I never knew existed and I’ve been to places I would not have picked to visit that became fast favorites. And best of all I have friends all over the place that I’ve made along the way.

Each of the places holds a special place in my heart now. Many of the places I would have never went to had it not been assigned to me. In the future I’ll write about these favorite places and my trips to them.

I have been writing primarily about the Portland area over the past few weeks. The places will change up a little the next few months. I will be going to Canada, California and even better working from home a few weeks. I’m sure I’ll dig up old war stories during the weeks from home.

5 comments:

Ann said...

great post! I have only worked 2 jobs in my adult life ( one 12 1/2 yrs. & one 22 1/2) but before that I changed ever year! I guess I found the right spot!

Bennie said...

Wow I can't imagine being the same place for 22 1/2 years. I think that's great!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...try 10 & 26! Maybe SOME of us just don't know when to move ON?!?! Do I need to worry whether MY location has made your list of favorites? But then, perhaps I don't want to be part of a WAR story...

Sue said...

Since I'm not the explorer you are when I go to places (ok, when I USED to go to places), I usually just judged a place by the climate. If it was a place with lots of sun and warmth, I was happy enough to go. If it was a place with rain and cold (even if it had lots of beauty), didn't interest me. I know I've missed a lot of opportunity in getting to know a lot of the places I went to - if great scenery wasn't on the path between the hotel and the hospital, I didn't see it. Exceptions might be Florida, Nevada, and Arizona (LOVE Arizona). For me it was the people I noticed more, and like you, have special friends at many of the places I visited.

Bennie said...

Sue - I know how easy it is to miss things when you are on the road traveling. There are so many time I just don't go out and do things. The energy level is not always there.

I would love to hear about your Arizona Adventrues someday. I think I know where it was you liked so well.