Funny Job Experiences

Years back when I lived in Oklahoma I didn’t make enough at my first job to support the lifestyle I wanted or needed. (My spending habits didn’t help matters either.)

So to support myself I worked two jobs most of the time and sometimes I even held three jobs.

One of the jobs I had was working at a Texaco convenience store. The pay was not great but wow the experiences I had were just too funny. It was at this job that I met some of the funniest people and strange ones too.

I saw my first Drag Queen; had to shut off pumps from boys not paying attention while gawking at a little hottie bent over filling up her sports car. It was a never ending trail of funny events. I had a guy that bought beer from me every day that claimed to be Vince Gill’s older brother. I challenged this guy to bring him by sometime since I loved his music. Much to my surprise it was his brother and I got some albums autographed by him.

I worked at Texaco stations all over the OKC area. And the one where this next story comes from was located in the perfect spot where there were to major interstates and a high volume street. We were so busy we had to have two people working all the time. One person stocking; cleaning; and helping take money during busy times. The other person basically stood there all day turning on pumps and taking money.

One afternoon there must have been a wreck on the interstate. I had worked all day and it was late evening. My co-worker was a black lady named Samantha. I told her if she would run get us dinner I’d pay for it. I had been working about 15 hours at this point and I was starving. So Samantha went to get us something to eat.

Right after she left this car drove up with four teenagers that had to be 16-17 years old. You could tell they were on a double date. The two boys came in the store and trying to shock me yelled out asking if we carried condoms. I told them they were on the wall and pointed to where they were. Of course they were packaged in thee packs.

They brought the package to the counter and put it down. I rang it up and they didn’t have enough money. So these young men went back out to the car and you could see them digging through ashtrays and glove boxes trying to get enough money to pay for the condoms. They came back in the store a little more humbled just to find out they were about five cents short. Of course at this point I’m feeling pitty on them and said not to worry about it.

One of the boys looked up at me and asked if they came in a smaller size. Being the quick wit I am and the lack of control when it comes to my mouth I popped right back and said “If these are too big maybe you shouldn’t be playing with them”. I knew he meant fewer in the package, but it’s not what he said.

The other boy could have crawled under the door after that comment. I knew from that comment if I had been turned in to the office I’d loose my job. I just felt that if they had nerve enough to write this one up it would be worth it.

Samantha seemed to be gone forever because I was so tickled it was all I could do to stand there and take money from the customers. The wreck had been cleared and our business was really picking up. When she got back I had to go to the cooler and just let it out. All she could hear was me in the cooler just howling. I finally pulled it together and came back to the counter.

Samantha dated a young white man about my age. So I told her the story and she stood there with a straight face and replied "It must have been white boys if the condoms were too small".

I was no good the rest of the night because I was chuckling the whole time. I’m sure it has as much to do with being over tired as the event.

I doubt I’ll ever forget this story.

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

LOL! And I thought my tales from the workplace were good!

Sue said...

Funny story, but the funniest part was the comment that came out of YOUR mouth (as usual). Ever the one with the quick comeback - I can see you started young.

Jackie said...

Great story! Made me laugh.

Bennie said...

This story took me back years. Sometimes it's nice to just think back and write from your past. I have a fun one coming if I ever sit down and write it.. It's about FaceBook and FarmTown.