The Big Event - Magnolia Blossom Festival - Part 1

Well today’s the big day in Magnolia. The Blossom Festival is Friday and Saturday with most of the events taking place on Saturday. The festival started years ago as the “Arts Festival”. 20 years ago they added the “World Championship Steak Cook-off” which now takes up most of the festival.

We started off the day watching the parade of cookers going down Main Street. These are our chef’s for the big event this evening. They limit the number of cookers to 65 each year due to limited space on the square. They always have to turn teams away. So I guess that’s good.

The courthouse square (downtown) is where all the cookers are parked. The square fills up with the smoke and smells of the cookers. The art show is on the Courthouse Lawn and all the shops on the square are having a busy day with all the tourists. There were 4000 steak tickets sold at $15 each.

In addition to the parade there are car shows, dog shows, bike shows and all sorts of events. Below are some pictures of the parade and the car show. Later tonight we will go back for the steaks and the concert.


This cooker is a rocket, and as you can tell I didn't have a wide enough camera to get the whole thing.


The crowds were going wild. I'm sure this lady would appreciate her picture being on the internet.
Stefan found the car he want's to drive home.
This old Model A had the instruction manual and tools with it.
Well enough for now... Time for that nap. We have a long night ahead of us.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Bennie,
Looks like alot of fun. I hope you had a fabulous time last night.

Leslie said...

oh my...did you wake up this morning after all that fun? or are you still in STUN mode....

I saw a deal about using a cannon (rocket) to tenderize steak (Mythbusters) did they "shoot" the steak with the rocket or did it just flame broil as it transited through it? or what? share! share!

He wants to ride home in the Pigmobile? or the Cobra?

Life's a Beach! said...

Great photos and a good time! That old fire truck reminds me of the good old days when everyone in my little town would chase the fire truck to the fire. And I'm also wondering if his find was the Pigmobile or the Cobra! Ha!

Bennie said...

Jackie - we are having a great time. So great I didn't boot up my computer yesterday.

Leslie - Stefans dream car is the Cobra. The Pig Mobile was the one I wanted. You know me I follow the food. They did not shoot anything out of a rocket. Darn it.

Beck - I know that small town feel. They say if you forget what your going out to do in a small town just ask anyone around and they can tell you because everyone knows your business.

By the way.. That's why I moved away.