What’s in the iPod? – Gladys Knight

I wrote the words to this song in a Mothers Day card to my mom some years back. The song is called “You’re the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me”.

Gladys Knight picked a line out of the song “between each line of pain and glory” to become the title of her autobiography.

Every time I hear this song I think about my mom. She has dedicated her life to me. She has seen me through good times, great times, bad times and sad times. She has been my biggest fan and my harshest critic. She has seen me through relationships, break-ups, trying to find my beliefs and coming to terms with myself. She has been there to support me through financial hardships and seen me gain my own financial independence. She has watched me grow from a boy to a man. And over the years we have become more than Mother and Son we have become Friends.

My mom is quick to tell me she is proud of me and that she is glad she has me as a son. In previous blogs I have written about how much it helps to have a cheering squad. The encouragement never stops from her. There are so many children out there that are not as fortunate as me. Many moms don’t have the time to give their children. I consider myself very lucky that my mom had the time and the desire both.

I am very proud of my mom. The kindness she shows everyone puts her in a special place. She is quick to lend a helping hand to family, friends and even strangers. Even to this day in her 70’s she takes time from her life to drive people places that can’t drive for one reason or the other. She will hop on an airplane and fly to my house to watch animals and when she is there she is a non-stop Eveready Bunny cleaning, washing dishes/laundry or cooking.

After reading all of this, read the words to the song and you will know why it holds a special place in my heart.

You’re the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me – Gladys Knight

I’ve had my share
Of life’s ups and downs
But fate’s been kind
The downs have been few

I guess you could say
That I’ve been lucky
I guess you could say
That it’s all because of you

If anyone should ever write my life story
For whatever reason there might be
You’ll be there
Between each line of pain and glory

Because you’re the best thing
That ever happened to me
You’re the best thing
That ever happened to me

There have been times
When times were hard
But always, somehow I made it
I made it through

Because for every moment
That I’ve spent hurting
There was a moment
That I’ve spent just loving you

If anyone should ever write my life story
For whatever reason there might be
You’ll be there
Between each line of pain and glory

Cause you’re the best thing
That ever happened to me
You’re the best thing
That ever happened to me


Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there that read my post. I’m sure you have children that can agree that you are between each line of pain and glory in their lives; and that you are the best thing that ever happened to them too.

3 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

That's a great post Bennie! My son and I are also good friends. Same sense of humor. Your mom sounds wonderful!

Sue said...

Any mom would be more than honored to know that her child thinks of her the way you think of your mom. Great tribute. And since I know your mom, I can see all the things you say about her are true. She is one very special lady and she did a good job keeping you on the right side of the tracks.

Jackie said...

Aw shucks that brought tears to my eyes. What a good son you are to honor your mother in this way.