Favorite things...

It’s really the little picky little things that can really make my day. You can’t imagine the thought processes I go through booking my travel. On certain aircraft I have the favorite seats lined up and will do about anything (and I mean anything) to get in them. I have preferred motel chains (some based on the toiletries they provide) and room type and location are all considerations.

If I’m flying North/South I determine the side of the plane by time of day where the Sun won’t blind me, then I pick the window seat on the side away from the sun. If I fly East/West I make my determination of side based on where I’m flying and what I want to see on my route. If I’m going to Portland I get on the Left side of the plane to see Mount Hood on the way inbound. And on the way back home I’m on the Right side for the same reason. If I’m going to Las Vegas I like the Right side of the plane to see the Grand Canyon on my way in.

Then there’s the jockeying for the seat and row. I always try to get Exit row for the extra leg room, and not just any exit row I want the back exit row that will recline. If you have two together the first will not recline. If I can’t get my window on the exit row I’ll default to the aisle, then I move to the first row “Bulkhead” and do the same moving around. If I happen to get a first class upgrade I head right to Row 1 and if that doesn’t work I want last row. And then from there any seat works, who’s going to whine about first class?

Motel rooms I want the highest floor away from the elevator, ice or vending machines. I want a king size bed and non-smoking. I like corner rooms because they generally will have windows on two walls making the room seem larger. I prefer motels that offer free breakfasts (even if they charge for parking). My favorite chain is the Hilton chain. I refer to myself as a Hilton Whore… Even more specific I prefer the Embassy Suites because I like their shampoo, cooked to order breakfast and having a separate living room and bedroom.

The Hilton I’m staying in here in Vancouver, WA has me assigned to the same room when they can. They have had me in it several weeks now and I have already put in my bid for it next week. It’s Room 549 (corner room, away from the elevator and all human life forms). The view from the desk is of a park pictured below. The view from the other window is of the Columbia River.







As for cars I prefer full sized cars and whatever you do don’t give me another Mini-Cooper.

I’m glad I have control over my own schedule, I’ve got much pickier than I was when I first started my career traveling. I have to say though way back when I started I had two travel agents that knew me all too well (Al and Brian). They knew all these preferences and they made them happen. God Bless them, they certainly earned their keeps those few years.

1 comment:

Sue said...

It's all about the control. I am not quite as thoughtful as you are about picking my seats related to the position of the sun, but you got the rest right. Exit row, second row if there are two. I will not sit in row 9 or 10 on the big planes that fly to Cancun because my feet freeze from the drafty door. And for first class, I want to be as close to the front as possible so I get my choice of meal...the last row gets stuck with what nobody else wanted. Too often I got stuck with fish. So now I'm up front if possible (and I think they stopped serving fish anyway).