WHAT’S IN THE IPOD? FOREVER YOUNG

It’s funny how a song can bring a flood of memories to you. As I was listening to my iPod an old Rod Stewart song came on “Forever Young”. This song reminds me so much of a dear friend of mine I worked with back in Oklahoma City when I was so very young.

Joanie and I worked together when I was just a pup at 17 years old. We worked together for years and there are surely more stories than I can tell in a short blog.

The first time I met her was a few days after I started my job as a data entry operator back in 1982. She was most likely the same age I am now and how young I must have seemed to her. One day we were going to pick-up lunch and she had this beautiful black Thunderbird. I hoped in the car with her and when she started the car the radio was up as loud as it would be in my own car and Bob Segar was playing. I was so amazed that someone her age could enjoy the same music as me.

At 17 there is so much to learn about life. I watched Joanie as she would drink a diet soda and eat a Snickers candy bar. I just couldn’t understand why in the world someone would do that. And I’m sure she would laugh at me today knowing as the years have went by I’ve done the same thing more times than I care to admit.

I have no idea how our IT department ended up being assigned the tasks of Receptionist, Switchboard Operator and Computer department… But that was the tasks we were given and we completed them. Joanie and I would share music over the years and I even remember one time we were told to turn down the music since we were on the switchboard.

One of Joanie’s favorite artists was Rod Stewart. I can think of no song better to describe her than “Forever Young”. It’s a beautiful song and every time I hear it it’s Joanie that I think about. She was so young at heart and she made a great impression on a young man starting his life.

The good thing about this blog is I’m making myself stop and think. I looked up Joanie’s name in my address book and wrote her a letter last week. I received a call from her over the weekend and although we only had a few minutes to talk it was so great to hear her voice again.

I’m sure just about everyone reading this note has heard the song that started this blog. I am including some of the words of the song below..



Forever Young – Rod Stewart

May the good lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness surround you
When your far from home

And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As you’d have done to you

Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you’ll always stay
Forever young
Forever young

May good fortune be with you
May your guiding light be strong
Build a stairway to heaven
With a prince or a vagabond

And may you never love in vain
And in my heart you will always remain
Forever young, Forever young
Forever young, Forever young

And when you finally fly away
I’ll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell

But whatever road you may choose
I’m right behind you
Win or Loose
Forever Young, Forever Young
Forever Young, Forever Young

2 comments:

Sue said...

Great memories! When I think about my age, I can't believe I'm that old. Surely I don't look it. Got a joke email the other day about something like this, I'll dig it up and send it to you.

Bennie said...

I find it very strange that I'm in my mid-40's. I have no idea how it happened, it just came out of nowhere.