Mardi Gras Memories

Since it’s Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras season I thought I would write about my one and only Mardi Gras I attended in New Orleans. I was 25 years old the year I went to Mardi Gras. I lived in Oklahoma City and my parents lived in the New Orleans area. I brought my girlfriend at the time from Las Vegas for the first meeting with the parents and to Mardi Gras all at the same time.

Anyone who has been to Mardi Gras and the French Quarter afterwards should know how embarrassing it would be for a young man to have people ask his mother to show her “goods” to get beads (in front of a new girlfriend to boot). I’m so glad neither of them showed the goods… One guy asked mom for her bra and she quipped back at him asking if he knew how much bra’s cost.

I was really surprised at what I saw. There is really no way you can tell someone and have them really believe it unless they go see for themselves. I’ve grown up some and I’m not as much of a prude now as I was then. I could probably handle it better now than I did then. I can say it’s quite a party.

I still have some of the Mardi Gras beads we caught from the Rex parade. We got a Zulu coconut which was a prized thing to leave with. I’m glad I got to go see the craziness of Mardi Gras. The girlfriend didn’t last long… I guess it was too much for a first trip as a couple.

2 comments:

Sue said...

You are still probably a little reserved to go back and enjoy that bead thing, I know I would probably not be comfortable. Tonight there is a party here (actually I think it's all week, they were set up at the zocalo last night). I don't think they do the beads, or if they do, it doesn't involve baring skin.

Bennie said...

Yeah, I cleaned it up what they were chanting. I could handle it better today than I could 19 years ago.. But it's not something I'd pay a lot of money to do again.