Meet one of the Girls – Pez

I haven’t written much about home, so I guess it’s time to start introducing folks to the family.

Just under 4 years ago we added a new member to our family. It wasn’t planned which is generally the case. Stefan owned a shop where he painted custom artwork on sand blasted signs. In his storage shed he heard this meek noise coming from behind his material which is about the size of a sheet of plywood. He watched this poor kitten all day and realized that she had been abandoned. When we first met her she fit in the palm of my hand, her eyes had not opened and based on how long it took after we found her she must have been 2 days old.


We both felt so bad for this kitten and we wanted to be sure she had a fighting chance. After much feeding (10-15 times daily) starting with an eye dropper progressing to a dish she started growing. I’m sure she was abandoned by her mother because she was a runt and had problems with one of her eyes. It was a great experience for me to watch her grow and to her I’m the momma (poor cat, no wonder she’s warped and mean). I had never had an indoor cat and had no idea how curious they really are… What a fun time we had.



Over the years I have worked from my home office. Pez has an internal clock and she knows when it’s quitting time. I guess it’s when the stomach starts to growl, but she never misses and she makes it know it’s time to quit working by getting on the desk. She will start with just being a little annoying and she will work her way up to putting her paws on my chest to push me away from the desk. Considering she was a runt you would never know it as pushy as she gets.



Pez has found a window she can look out of on the 3rd floor while I’m getting ready in the morning (or afternoon’s at times). She will be four this summer (June 2). I can’t imagine not having her here to greet me when I come home from trips, or to see me off when it’s time to leave.

In reading a friends blog (Sue) she was talking about all her cats and the challenges she was having with them that day. I just roared because I don't think there is any way I could handle more than the one I have.


I’ll write about my other girl Sheeot (the dog) later. She is the social butterfly and will suck all the love out of anyone that comes around.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I remember when you were nursing that kitten. You'd be on conference calls with her snuggled in your arms. You make a good mama for her.

Bennie said...

It was certainly a bonding experience having to care for her so much. Of course I'm sure I'm the reason she is so mean. She loves a good fight with me. She sneaks out and swats at me from under tables, chairs and smacks me from the side of the stairs if I don't see her first.