DELTA – The true meaning

DELTA = Delayed Through Atlanta. Let me tell you it’s so common that flights are delayed here that I’d be surprised if they left on-time.

Today I’m sitting at the gate on a flight that is already 1.5 hours delayed. They keep saying it’s because of a late inbound aircraft. Then they tell us it’s being towed over from the hanger and has to have security screening before we leave since it’s the first flight of the day. Mind you it’s NOON didn’t they know this flight was on the schedule? They sold 74 seats and 12 extras they don’t have.

I find it amusing to watch all the business travelers that are pacing around attached to cell phones freaking out that they are going to miss their meetings. All I can think is they should have booked the earlier flights if they had meeting today. I am obviously calloused to the whole situation.

Sad part is on Friday they did the same thing in Houston on the first flight out. They ferried over the WRONG plane and didn’t know until the crew got there. So they had to move the plane that was there and bring us the right aircraft.

I’m not a rocket scientist but don’t these Airlines have computer systems to help coordinate all this stuff. I trust these people to fling me through the air in a tin can at 30,000 feet and they can’t even get the right plane to the gate knowing full good and well what should be there and when. I understand delays for Maintenance and Weather. But for stuff like this it’s a bit ridiculous.

5 comments:

Ann said...

A few years ago we flew Delta home from Isla--got to Atlanta & stayed there 3 days waiting to get on a flight--the airport was closed in CT for 12 hours on a Sat. because of a storm & that screwed up everyhting! I know the storm wasn't their fault, but the endless trotting from gate to gate trying to get on a flight was awful! Said I would never fly on Delta again, but did last year
( 1st class-paid for coach)to Alaska & got a nonstop flight for next Jan. to Isla........

Sue said...

I never fly Delta - more to stay out of Atlanta than the airline itself. And I know these things happen with any airline, Delta isn't unique, although maybe bringing the wrong plane to the gate is a new one. Doesn't instill much confidence that they can't get that part right!

Have a safe flight and get to your destination. Glad you're back writing! (p.s. I tried farming but it just didn't do anything for me).

Life's a Beach! said...

Now that Northworst and Delta have merged, I can only imagine the effect! We don't fly either one. I could have free flights to Isla on Delta this year (the only Alaska partner who had seats), but I'd rather buy the tickets. I think the free seat involved leaving here at 8 a.m. and not arriving in Cancun until late at night. And who knows if it wouldn't be the next day! That's when 'free ain't free'!

Hope you don't sit there three days like Jamqueen did!

Bennie said...

Well we made it to Houston safely about 1:45 late of course. Good thing I was not due to work today or I'd have had a problem.

Ann I hope your non-stop to Cancun is good in January.

I have flown many miles with Delta and they are my primary airline but they have some things to work on.

I got an e-mail about this guy that wrote a song about United Airlines breaking his guitar. He tried to make it right with them for 9 months and got nowhere. So he wrote a song and posted it on YouTube. Now United is kissing his tail trying to make it right. Too bad I can't sing.

Leslie said...

what? you didn't have to go from Gate A-25 to Gate E-26 and back to Gate T-24 before you got off the ground? That's my big complain about Atlanta! I think it just got too busy for its own good...should have let Chi-town keep the honor

What? you can't sing? I am SOOOO disallusioned!