One Year and an Eternity ago

Last year I changed jobs over the July 4th weekend. I left a job that I had worked for almost 4 years to go back to my previous employer with a lot more travel. I left on July 3 from one job and started the new job July 7.

It seems like an eternity since I came back. I always say a month doing this type work feels like a year. You are running from place to place, week to week and the time just flies by. I have no idea how many air miles I’ve flown in the past year but I’d say it’s very close to 150,000. I know I’ve ping ponged cross country most of the year working in Los Angeles and Oregon. I started off in Houston for a few week last summer and back in that area for the 1 year mark.

Looking back it was the right move at the right time. It was a gut wrenching decision to leave a job I loved and leave people I truly cared about. Sometimes we have to spread our wings and go even if we don’t really want to do it.

Not much of a blog today… But it’s what happened a year ago in my life. Some mighty big changes that week.

5 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Bennie, my son started a job a year ago that's taken him all over the country. I think he's back in New Hampshire now -- right where he started. Since the job led to all your wonderful posts -- it WAS a very good move! : )

Bennie said...

Awww Shucks Beck... You made me blush. It was a very good change for me.

One year tomorrow since I came back. I called myself unemployed one year ago today. Even though I had a laptop, name badge, login.

They made sure I had every tool imagineable before I even started. I certainly felt wanted.

Sue said...

Well, yes, it was certainly the right move for you. I still miss you though, and I think I'm allowed. I could not have moved into what you are doing at my age (remember, I'm older than you), and I admire the energy you have to do what you do. I know it's tough at times, but at least you enjoy the work. And the people you left behind are still in your life, so you didn't lose anything and probably gained a lot.

Jackie said...

I have worked for the same company for 32 years. That seems like forever. However, when I had 25 years of service I resigned. I had had it with the way the company was changing and not for the good. Bad upper management was ruining it as far as I was concerned and I was in a job that I hated. Well long story short I didn’t resign. Things got a lot better and I have been doing a job for the last6 years that is the best job I have had. I am thinking of retiring at the end of the year.
I can’t imagine starting with a new company and making those kinds of changes at this time in my life. But good for you!

Leslie said...

Yes, it was a good move for your career...and you are sharing your expertise and great personna with a wider base of client - a win all the way around...

but know that your former co-workers miss your warmth, kindness and patience...