What Wonderful Memories While Working

I am so fortunate to have a job that keeps me traveling. With that travel comes the perks of Frequent Flyer Miles, Motel Points and some pretty neat places you’d never think to travel to, until you get an assignment.

What makes me think of these is when I was thinking back on the many trips my mom packed up a bag; and tagged along with me. Of course, using my frequent flyer miles and picking up her own meal costs. We could have never afforded these trips if it had not been for me being sent to some really great places. It's the best part of my job.

I have counted 20 places mom as joined me at through the past 22 years. Some of the places she visited more than once; because they were driving distance from her house and she would come just to see me. Each trip has some memory that stands out. I plan to write my stories of these trips down as some are quite funny, others have great adventures, and all of them have wonderful memories attached.

We have seen New England Fall Foliage; New York City before and after 9/11; taken a Hot Air Balloon over Amish country; experienced a Frozen Niagara Falls; watched snow fall on Cherry Blossoms in DC; taken side trips to Death Valley and the Grand Canyon; drank Cuban Coffee on South Beach and drove the Florida Keys to Key West.

She has joined me when I was being held Hostage in Mississippi (during a hurricane no less); tagged along to a conference at Opryland in Nashville; attended opening of a Heart and Stroke Center; and got treated to a Country Club Dinner Celebration for a huge Go-Live. She has joined me at dinners with customers that became friends, some so nice they put the napkins in your lap, and others where we ate family style.

Some trips came with the ability to cross International Borders both North and South (Canada & Mexico). Others came with trips to the Emergency Room (Little Rock when I had to catch Strep Throat). Then there are trips when she scared the hell out of me traveling in torrential rains, while lost in Louisiana.

These memories are what’s been carrying me through. As I think back on them, it reminds me of how much she enjoyed life, and just how much we made of those years together. There are far more trips that had nothing to do with work. We have flung to the far reaches of world, from London to Japan; Canada to the Caribbean; Alaska to Mexico City.

She’s taken trips without me on her own using motel points. She had Stefan take her to Branson and showed him Northwest Arkansas without me. She would tell me how wonderful the rooms were, and how much fun she had.

It’s hard to be sad when you look back at what a Wonderful Life we were blessed to have together.

In the months ahead I look forward to thinking about these wonderful adventures with each other as I write them down for myself.  Titles of possible posts are....


  • Northampton, MA (Fall Foliage)
  • Gulfport, MS (Good Conversation)
  • Newark, NJ (Spanish Tavern, Manhattan Tour, Argentinian Boyfriend)
  • Washington, DC (Blossom Festival in Snow)
  • Ephrata, PA (Hot Air Balloon)
  • Niagara Falls, ON (Frozen Falls)
  • Miami, FL  (Key West)
  • Pascagoula, MS  (Hostage Situation)
  • New Orleans, LA (Roll on Mississippi)
  • Memphis, TN
  • Little Rock, AR (Strep Throat, Presidential Library)
  • Baton Rouge, LA (Lost in Torrential Rains)
  • Lafayette, LA (Avery Island, Slidell Trip)
  • Lufkin, TX  (Heart Center Opening)
  • Tyler, TX (Come and get me…)
  • McAllen, TX  (Country Club)
  • Las Vegas, NV (Wine in the Afternoon)
  • Las Vegas, NV (Day trips to Death Valley & Grand Canyon)
  • Bend, OR (Quitting Smoking, Crater Lake and Coastal Drive)
  • Seattle, WA (Vancouver - Stanley Park / Seattle Sight Seeing)
  • Nashville, TN (Gaylord Opryland Resort)


No comments: