Mom’s Lesson on Getting a Loan


With mom’s passing being a little over five months back she is still so on my mind.  There are so many stories, trips and lessons she taught me.   I think it’s time I write them down while they are still fresh in my mind.   At some point they will fade.  Having them written down hopefully I’ll still be able to look back on them and smile.

Around 1981 I was 17 and had already enjoyed almost 2 years with my first car that I paid cash for.  It was a little Maroon 1973 MG Midget.   I needed a new car and mom was going to take me and teach me how to get a loan.  

So, she packed me up and took me to Capitol Hill State Bank in Oklahoma City where she banked.   We filled out the paperwork, and then loan agent called us back.   He explained to her that he would have given her a loan for anything else, but he would not give her a loan for me to have a car.  His excuse was I was underage.  Mom had enough money in a CD to cover the loan, she was going to co-sign to start building my credit.  

Well this did not sit well with mom, so she proceeded to pull out her checkbook register and told him the dollar figure she wanted pulled out of her checking account (which was more than the loan she was asking for).   She then closed her account and put the money in her purse.  It was a Saturday morning so not all banks were open.  She took me to a Savings and Loan and she walked in and told them she wanted to know if they would let her co-sign for a loan for me to get a car.  They said they would.  She opened her purse, pulled out her money (way more than she should have been carrying) and opened a new account.    We got the loan; I got my car.

Mom took her CD when it came due and moved the money out of that bank.  She also had friends who had a business account at the bank.   She told them about this, and they moved much more money that we had out of that bank.    I know it was not our paltry money that made the bank go bankrupt, but a few years later they were out of business.  I would say it had more to do with the service they provided.

Mom always said she didn’t intend to teach me the lesson she taught me.  And she often wondered if she taught me the right lesson.  Funny years later I used that lesson with a credit union that did the same thing, didn’t want to loan me money to refinance my car (interest rates had dropped significantly, I wanted a shorter loan to pay off faster at a lower rate).   I took my lesson, pulled all but $5 out of savings, moved my money elsewhere.   Oh, and I got that loan at a lower rate by they way.   To this day I have my account with them with $5 in savings.   They mail me a statement every month (30 years later).   I hold a grudge better than mom did.    But I have given in and use their Visa Credit card, but I pay it off monthly, so I don’t have to pay them interest. 

Mom told me not too long before she died, I might want to give up that grudge.  I smiled and said no way, you taught me this.    

No comments: