Amedisys Hospice


I finally got around to writing my letter to Amedisys Hospice.   I have always been a believer in telling when someone has went above and beyond.  This team really stepped up when I needed them most.  Hopefully the letter will be delivered next week.





May 15, 2020


Jennifer Poston
Amedisys Hospice
391 Seaboard Street, Unit 6
Myrtle Beach, SC  29577


Jennifer:

I just wanted to take time and write you a letter and Thank You and your team for the services our family received from Amedisys Hospice back in November/December 2019.   My mother Juanell Dowty was certainly in need of more help than we could possibly provide her on our own.

My first contact with your team was with Tammy Bellamy in January 2019.  My mom was in the hospital with pneumonia and she met me outside my mom’s ICU room with a nurse to discuss the possibility of putting mom in Hospice.  It turned out mom and Stefan were not quite ready for that help, so we used your Home Health instead.     Fast forward to November 20 when mom took a significant turn for the worst.  I texted Tammy and she was on the phone with me within a few minutes.  We were coordinating with doctors to get things done.    I was in Ohio and Tammy took the reins and made things happen in about 24-36 hours.

Tammy brought Terry Peoples, RN out on a Friday night to admit my mom into the Hospice Program.  Terry was one of the kindest nurses you could ever ask for.   Mom was still holding to her dignity wanting to use the toilet, while Terry was here mom collapsed in my arms and I needed his help.  He showed such kindness to my mother, you could see in her eyes she truly trusted him.  After mom passed Terry gave me a personal call to express his sympathy which meant more than he will ever know.

As overwhelming as it was that first week your team surrounded us to help lift the burdens we were carrying unknowingly on our shoulders.  We received calls from the Chaplin, Social Worker, Volunteers and all the people that make your team within the first few days.   I remember the Tuesday meeting I attended right after mom was admitted seeing the faces that went with the names.  Quite honestly everyone on your team deserves a shout out about how great they are.

Diedra McDowell was our Hospice Aide that cared for mom.  She was so very gentle with my mom when she bathed her and cared for her personal needs.   Diedra was just as concerned for my well being too.  She saw how I was lifting mom and was concerned I’d hurt my back.  She showed me how to change a bed with a patient in it, how to move mom and not hurt myself.   Diedra may not realize it, but she actually lifted the biggest burden off my shoulders when she arrived.    I had been the one giving mom her showers, brushing her teeth and keeping her sheets changed.   Not only did she lift this burden; she helped be sure I was taking care of my health; she made sure we had supplies to care for mom (along with instructions).  My mom could not have felt more comfortable than in her gentle hands.

Janice Meininger, RN was our primary nurse.   There are no words that can explain the gratitude I have for this wonderful woman.   She was gentle, kind and compassionate.   She took time to explain things, sometimes multiple times, never making me feel bad about asking for anything.  I remember the day my mom passed I was holding her right hand, and Janice was with us.  Janice was holding her other hand, our two dogs that adored mom were right there in the bed; and Stefan was at her feet as mom gently passed away.  I had not been home two hours from a business trip to Alaska.  I believe mom waited for me to be there; but I also believe she waited for Janice too.   It was what was supposed to happen, having Janice there I knew there was nothing more I could have possibly done.  Had Janice not been there I would have always wondered if there was something I could or should have done.    The peace that left me with is something I could never repay.   And she was a Total Stranger a month before.

In the weeks and months following mom’s death I have continued to receive phone calls and letters from your team.    Jennifer Fuller has made sure to know I have someone to reach out to.  

The kindness from your team is beyond measure.  The advice is well thought out.  One of the other Jennifer’s Rigsbee, told me to get a baby camera for moms’ room.  Something so simple I had not thought about.  That baby camera allowed me to see mom while I was working at home and even at 30,000 feet flying from here to Alaska and back.   I was able to check in and not disturb anyone.

I knew Hospice was a great program for patients.   But I certainly have a new appreciation for what the program brings to the family members and close friends of a patient.

During the COVID-19 Pandemic that is going on right now, your team has been on my mind heavily.  I can’t imagine what your team is having to deal with.  The extra precautions, caring for the population that is at the highest risk.   I sincerely hope and wish everyday your team is safe.


With Greatest Gratitude,

Bennie Dowty   

No comments: