Greetings from the other South State - South Dakota

Well this is it... Live from the other South State! South Dakota. At last a trip for pleasure instead of work. Today we left Rapid City and toured the Badlands National Park area about 50 miles East of Rapid City, SD. The fields on the drive were loaded with hay and rolling hills. Here is a picture of the fields with hay as far as you could see.
South Dakota is famous for Wall Drug. When my dad was in the military he saw signs in Japan of how many miles it was to Wall Drug in South Dakota. They had road signs all the way from Rapid City and I found this offer of Free Ice Water just too funny not to take a picture of.
Of course when we got to Wall Drug sure enough there was the Free Ice Water. I guess if you advertise you have to make the effort to deliver right?
Wall is a small town on I-90 just north of the Badlands and just East of Rapid City. The town is really small and pretty much all there is to do is eat and shop at the drug store. Mom was brave enough to ride the Jackalope. Note there is not a picture of me doing this. I know what get's posted on the internet.
Anyone who knows me knows the terror I have when it comes to snakes. So you know I was not too thrilled to see this sign. Of course it was far too hot for the snakes to be out, we didn't see a one. I guess this is one way to keep people on the path (NOT).
I got off the path and saw this beautiful picture. I wanted to know what he was looking at so I had to get closer.
When I did I realized what this fella must have been thinking... How the heck am I gonna get down there? And why are they hanging on the side of the cliff like that? Is there room for three?
Once we got through the bulk of the Badlands which I consider "South Dakota's Grand Canyon" we started seeing the prarie dogs. They were so cute and I bought some unsalted peanuts to feed them. This one even posed for me. As you can tell he's had a few peanuts in his days, look at that pot belly.
Just before checking into our room we ran across the cemetary that is one of the reasons we came. My dad's family is from Custer SD and we wanted to see my grandparents graves. My real grandfather passed away when my dad was about 8 years old. We found his gravesite quicker than we thought considering I have not been here in 14 years and mom in about 17 years.
Not sure what the plans for tomorrow hold. Sometime this week we will see Mt. Rushmore; Crazy Horse and then who knows what from there. Keep an eye out and I'll try to post more pictures if I have time.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! That animal & cliffs photo is awesome!

Anonymous said...

these pics are great! so glad to see that you are having a great time! can't wait to see more!
- brandi

Bennie said...

Ann & Brandi - it was so awesome seeing the mountain goats (i assume thats what I was seeing). I still can't figure out how they got on the side of the mountain like they did.

The prarie dogs we saw were well fed. I remember them being much smaller but hey I guess I could have been thinking about the chipmunks. My dad used to put corn in his shirt pocket and let them crawl on him and eat the corn. That was a childhood memory he had.

We are calling one of my uncles today to try and catch up with him while we are here. We are having a great time.

Life's a Beach! said...

Great photos Bennie! I bet that critter is thinking 'idiots -- how they gonna get out of that one'? Actually, he might be thinking 'hubba hubba -- how do I get down there'!

And I love a man on a jackelope! HA! I think I need to go to Wall Drug so I can get my picture taken on that thing! I've always heard the Badlands are beautiful, but have never been.