Memories of a Dear Friend - Ruby

It has been a long time since I’ve really had something I wanted to write about. Today after looking at pictures of Jackie’s Hot Air Balloon adventure it started me reminiscing about when mom and I took our Hot Air Balloon ride.

The first person I knew that took a Hot Air Balloon Ride was a retired lady who volunteered with me when I worked at the Oklahoma Blood Institute. Her name was Ruby. She went to the Hot Air Balloon Festival in Albuquerque. She had such wonderful pictures and I was so surprised that she had taken a ride in one of these balloons. I thought what a gutsy woman she was.

Ruby had been widowed quite a few years before I met her and she didn’t have any children. She is one of the people I can say really touched my life over the years. She passed away 15 years ago and I still think of her fondly to this day. She touched so many lives.

Way back when before I started traveling for a living I started saving key chains from places I’d been. Then people would bring them back to me from the vacations I doubted I’d ever get to take on my own. Ruby probably brought me the most key chains of anyone. She was always on some adventure to Europe or in the United States. I still have a strand of key chains from all around the world she picked up for me all those years ago.

I have been lucky to find a job I truly enjoy that allows me to see places I never dreamed I’d see. Ruby would be so happy for me if she were here. I never thought I’d go to Europe or for that matter take a Hot Air Balloon ride. I remember her writing me a note when she was in Ireland she was describing how there were so many shades of green she couldn't do it justice in her note. It was a place that I know she dearly loved visiting.

Jackie – thanks for you post and the beautiful pictures. You brought back some very fond memories of a lady I have not thought about for a while. It was nice to think about her again.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Ah, you are going to make me cry.

Sue said...

It's always nice to have a trigger to think back on old friends. I wonder what Ruby would think about your little escapes down to Isla. She sounds like a person who really would have 'got' the island.