South Dakota Vacation - Day 2

There are just some days you can't summarize everything. Today is one of those days for me. It was so full from the beginning to the end. I am going to summarize the best I can what we did; where we went and what we saw today.

To start off we took the road out of Custer heading to Mount Rushmore. On the way you could see the Crazy Horse Monument from the road. We have not been down to the monument yet but we plan to do that on our trip. Here is the picture I got with my nice zoom lens. It's almost as good as being at the park.
One of the big things I wanted to do was to go see Mount Rushmore. And as you can see we could not have picked a better day to go. Mom read that the best time to take photos is in the morning. The lighting was perfect. In the gift shop they had a man who had actually worked on the monument for 3 years. He was 18-21 during his 3 years working on the monument. He is 88 years old and was in good health. It was really neat to get to talk to him. The monument was being built from 1928-1941.

On the road down from the monument there is a place you can take a profile picture of George Washington. I didn't remember that as a child when I was here but I'm so glad I stopped to take the picture. After we left Mount Rushmore we went to a town named "Hill City" to have lunch. Mom had a Buffalo Burger and I had a BBQ Pork sandwich. I was a bit buffalo'ed out since the night before I had a Buffalo Sirloin and for lunch I had a Buffalo Burger. Least to say they serve a lot of buffalo here.

After lunch we were heading to Custer State Park and the Needles highway. This was the second thing I really wanted to see up here. So I guess today was my day to pick and choose. As you enter the park there is a lake "Lake Sylvan" and it's so beautiful.
The reason it's called the needles highway is the rocks and this one in particular is called the Needles Eye. We continued to drive through the needles highway and I have so many pictures you are not seeing but here is one we had someone take of me and mom.This area is called the Cathedral. Not sure why but it was a sight to see as we drove around the twisting roads.
I wanted to see the Bison in the wild. I was corrected that they are not called Buffalo but they are North American Bison. So from here on out I'll refer to them as Bison. This one was out in the wild just walking around. We couldn't help it we saw the prarie dogs and we had to stop and feed them some of the peanuts from yesterday. The ones in the park here were not as tame as the ones yesterday but he figured out we were pretty cool and took the peanut and made his feast on it.
I'm not really sure what these animals were they looked like a different type of deer than what we have in the south. They were all over the place.
We finally ran into a South Dakota Traffic Jam with a bunch of donkeys. One car made the mistake of rolling down the windows and feeding one. Nex thing they knew they had donkeys with heads all the way in the car from both sides eating. I'm glad I was not in that car, I'm not big on donkey slobber in my car.
At last we found what I remember my dad showing me all those year ago. The field with all the Bison in it. There were over 500 in the herd in the picture below. The guard said there are 1200 more but they were not sure where they were in the park today. There were Bison Chips all over the place. You had to watch your step
Once we left the State park we had about a 10 mile drive on a dirt road before we got out on the blacktop heading to my uncles house. I took pictures of all the hay yesterday and we saw a bunch of haystacks in the fields today. I have not seen that in years and thought I'd share it with everyone.
We finally made it to my Aunt and Uncles house in Buffalo Gap. The town is very small and all the roads are dirt. I saw my uncle last when my grandmother passed way in 1995. I had not seen my aunt since the winter of 1987 (22 years back). Least to say it was really good to visit with them again. My aunt's mom lives with them and remembers seeing me when I was a little kid back in the early 70's when we visited them in Elgin, IL.

My uncle shared pictures with me he had of my dad when he was a baby and little boy. He had a sheet of photo paper with my Grandma and Grandpa and the military pictures of all the boys. My grandfather had two sons from a prior marriage both of which served in WWII. Then my dad was the first for my grandma and he served in WWII and Korea. Then her other four sons served in Korea.

My uncle told us a lot of the family history. Some I knew and a lot I didn't know about. He told me my Grandfather had been gassed in World War 1. He was originally from Freemont, Nebraska and the reason they ended up in Custer was because they had a hospital there and the altitude. They sent the military boys who had been gassed to these areas. He also told me about one of my relatives that lead Brigham Young to Utah.

Our history seems to be between South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma and back to South Dakota. I really thought I was the first of the Dowty's to be the Okie... But he told me I wasn't. Darn, can't I be the first at something?

We left my uncles house with a wooden shoe that my Great Uncle Gillis wore when he came over from Holland. He was married to my Grandmother's Sister and they never had any children. He maintained the Custer Cemetary for years.

I also left with some pictures I will cherish from my dad's childhood.

So that is my day in a nutshell. I know today's blog was long but it was such a full day I couldn't shorten it much more.

5 comments:

Ann said...

What a full & wonderful day! Love the photo of all the bison--hope our neighbor's herd doesn't get that big! Don't think he has enough land for that! And the haystack photo is neat--see lots of hay around here, but never like that!

Life's a Beach! said...

Bennie, I think those funny looking deer could be antelope? Great photos. Sounds like you're having a fabulous time with your mom discovering family! If you haven't gotten your fill of bison, there's a buffalo preserve (or used to be) in Valentine, Nebraska where you can drive your car among the herd. You might check it out if that's on the way home. One of those buffalo burgers sounds a mite tasty right about now! : )

Jackie said...

Mt. Rushmore is so incredibly awesome. I remember to this day seeing it when I was about 10 or maybe 12. Two of my sisters, an aunt and a grandpa drove back to Wisconsin and we did all of the touristy stops on the way.
I have never heard of Needles Eye before. It’s very cool

Isla Deb said...

Oh, my gosh...I just had to leave a comment. This was like "old home week" for me since I used to live in Hill City, South Dakota (also lived in Custer for awhile). I love the Black Hills and miss them a lot. Thanks for a little trip down memory lane. I recognized all your photos...which were great, by the way!

Leslie said...

those are antelopes, Bennie, as in "the deer and the antelopes play"...and the ranchers don't particularly like them....they eat the crops intended for cattle fodder....