A different route this week – Charlotte

For years (about 8) I flew USAirways as my primary airlin. Since the hub airport for them in this area is Charlotte I connected there weekly for years. I changed airlines when they were having so many issues with the merger between USAir and America West. After a while I just got tired of the issues and switched over to Delta. I started to switch back about 2 years back then as soon as I did they started charging extra for everything from cokes to pillows. I was waiting on them to charge for seatbelts and trips to the bathroom. So I again just decided to stick with Delta.

This week the prices of the airline tickets forced me to take USAirways through Charlotte on my way to Houston. They have stopped charging for drinks but they have not reinstated other things like the 500 mile minimum credit for a flight. They still charge for checked bags so more people try to overstuff the overheads. They have about one of the best on-time ratings of the major carriers. It’s still not enough to make me come back to the airline though. It takes a long time to build a status on an airline and I just don’t feel the need to go through that again.

I did enjoy flying through Charlotte because I haven’t done that in a long time. It’s one of the favorite places I have ever lived. It made me a little home sick just seeing the skyline when we were landing. I worked for about 4 years in Uptown and watched them tear down a building and start building a new skyscraper.

Charlotte calls it “Uptown” instead of “Downtown” because it sounds more positive to be called UP. The uptown area looked like it was 2 weeks old when I moved there and to this day it looks like a brand new city.

Of all the places I’ve lived I would say Charlotte is the top of the list to this day. I had a job I loved, a city I was proud to call home. It’s funny as much as I enjoyed it there that I have not been back in over 7 years other than to fly through the airport. I guess I need to schedule a vacation to go there sometime. Maybe I need to go to the Southern Living Home Show or something fun like that.

6 comments:

Ann said...

Only time I've ever been to Chalotte is passing through the airport. When My folks lived in New Bern I saw a bit of NC, but only drove as far west as Raleigh/Durham ( I know that's not that far). But it was more fun to go in the other direction to the Outer Banks!

Sue said...

Gold status on USAirways gets you three free checked bags, and almost always a first-class upgrade. I like the Charlotte airport, you don't have to walk MILES to get from one concourse to the other, and they have some good eating options (you know how important that is to me). I've never been anywhere but the airport but it looks like a nice city.

Life's a Beach! said...

Since we live in Phoenix, US Airways seems to be one of the main choices now. We're flying them to Cancun non-stop in a month. It'll be nice to fly non-stop for a change. Charlotte sounds nice!

Jackie said...

I have never been to Charlotte but it sound like a nice place to visit. I heard that they have some great restaraunts.

Bennie said...

I'll need to look back and find some pictures and reach back in my memory about some of my time in Charlotte and write sometime.

It's most beautiful in the Spring. That's when I truly fell in love with the city.

Leslie said...

we had a DOWNtown and an UPtown in Detroit...Down was the hub near the river with all the big stores, hotels, etc. UP was several miles inland and was the cultural center of the city, theatres, university etc. They even had a soda-pop named UPTOWN made by the Faygo company...I can still hear the song...."live it up, up, up with Uptown....when you're too pooped to participate, live it up, up, up with Uptown..." Life was simpler then....