14 Years Ago This Week

It was 14 years ago Tuesday that I pulled up my roots in Oklahoma City and started my journey to Charlotte, NC. I arrived in my new city 14 years ago today. This move was one of the biggest life changes I’ve ever made.

I left a home I had lived in since my 10th grade year. My parents moved to New Orleans for business right after I graduated High School and they were kind enough to let me stay in the house when they left. I lived in the 3 bedroom 2 story house alone for 12 years. You can imagine how set in your ways you get living alone. I had worked at the same job for 12 ½ years. There really was not an upward path for me unless I left the company.

I was 30 and this was my big move. I went from living alone with a stable job to living with someone else with no idea where my next paycheck was coming from. It was a huge life changing event for me. It was both exciting and terrifying at the same time.

I remember a song I had playing in my car when I was leaving Oklahoma. The song was from one of my favorite movies “Straight Talk”. The song was “Light of a Clear Blue Morning” by Dolly Parton.

If you have never seen the movie Straight Talk it’s a cute movie that never went over very big. It’s a sappy Romantic Comedy’s (the kind I love). Dolly Parton’s character leaves Arkansas to move to Chicago and make a better life for herself. She stumbles into the perfect job as a radio psychologist using her common sense to answer questions. I won’t spoil the plot just in case someone wants to watch the movie.

Least to say my move turned out just fine and opened many doors for my future.


Light of a Clear Blue Morning
(Dolly Parton)

It’s been a long dark night
And I’ve been a waitin’ for the morning
It’s been a long hard fight
But I see a brand new day a dawning

I’ve been looking for the sunshine
Cause I ain’t seen it in so long
But everything’s gonna work out just fine
Everything’s gonna be alright
That’s been all wrong

Cause I can see the light of a clear blue morning
I can see the light of a brand new day
I can see the light of a clear blue morning
And everything’s going to be alright
I’m gonna be okay

It’s been a long time
Since I’ve known the taste of freedom
And those clinging vines
They had me bound, well I don’t need them

Cause I am strong and I can prove it
And got my dreams to see me through
It’s just a mountain, I can move it
And with faith enough there’s nothing I can’t do

2 comments:

Sue said...

The last line says it all when it comes to you..."there's nothing I can't do".

Bennie said...

I needed to hear that. It was a tough week this week, how timely that you picked up on that one line.