Soaked in Texas

Well this week I have been in Lufkin getting ready for a go-live over the weekend. Since we needed to be back on Sunday morning I decided to stay out here over the weekend instead of flying back to South Carolina on Friday and back here on Saturday.

I thought this is a great time to run up to mom’s about 4.5 hours north of here and spend the night. Tonight would have been the night to go but we are getting torrential rains here so I called mom and told her I didn’t think it was a good idea for me to drive in the dark in heavy rains.

It turned out that my decision was the right one. Mom called me back and a tree is down over the power line down the road from her and she has no power. So I couldn’t have worked home office from there. They have had flooding there and we have had flooding here.

On the way back from dinner I drove through water that was up past the floor boards on the side of the car. I would never do this normally but I was on the major highway here and I couldn’t do anything but proceed. I am looking out my window now and I see they have that road closed and routing traffic around the flooded area.

I am staying at the Courtyard that just opened this month. I have been waiting for this place to open so I could move back into the Marriott Chain. They have had a tough night here. The parking lot is flooded out in front and there is a full sized pickup with water up to the doors. I am parked on the end of the building up-hill from the water.

To add to the frustration the fire alarm was going off in my co-workers room when he got home from work. So he reported it and we just decided to go to dinner. When we came back the entire fire alarm system was going off. They could not bypass the system until 45 minutes had passed. So about 5 minutes after we got back they got the alarms shut off. But then the elevators don’t work because they are in fire mode. I finally got tired of sitting in the lobby and hiked my butt up the four flights of stairs to my room.

So I guess I’ll have a nice day working from the motel tomorrow and have a day of rest in the motel on Saturday. Might as well make the best out of this right?

4 comments:

Sue said...

Yikes, stay dry!! Glad you decided not to try the drive!

Ann said...

nothing worst than driving in the pouring rain at night! Glad you decided to stay put...probably a smart choice!

Life's a Beach! said...

Bennie, one time when I was traveling in Massachusetts with my aunt, we ran into a tropical storm and had a similar experience. The car almost flooded in the Hilton parking lot, the fire alarm went off intermittently three times during the night, my aunt was sick with the flu, the muffler fell off the car . . . . You name it, it happened! Stay dry! : )

If it makes you feel any better, it's pouring on Isla this morning!

Jackie said...

It seems like there has been a lot of nasty weather everywhere.Wednesday morning there were a couple of trees down on houses in the Portland area after heavy rain a a lot of wind.